Friday, March 18, 2011

Delirium by Lauren Oliver













Blurb
Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the governments demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.
But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.
Rating
5 out of 5 stars
Review
Love as a disease, something fixable was probably the reason I picked up the book.  I love, love!!    I could not imagine a world without, so I was fascinated to read how Miss Oliver made it was possible.  I  also really enjoy books about disturbing future societies ( Ok let’s be honest I love them).   This book did not disappoint me.  Lena’s story is interesting without be one girl saves the world (at least not yet)!!  This felt real to me.  I found the future society very plausible it made me think that we teeter on the edge of something like this all the time. So with the combination of intriguing premise, unsettling future societies and LOVE I was hooked.  I am going to patiently wait for the next chapter in Lena’s life. 
Songs I think complement the book
Everybody Hurts by R.E.M.
Love Bites by Def Leppard
And most any other love song you can think of….

Read Alikes
Uglies Series by Scott Westerfeld
Candor by Pam Bachorz
Matched by Ally Condie

Reviewed from Digital Copy at Net Galley